Makes two 1 lb loaves
8 fluid oz / 230 ml warm water
1 oz / 25 g butter or margarine, softened
2 tablespoons malt extract
1 tablespoon black treacle or molasses
1 oz / 25 g fresh yeast /1 tablespoon dried yeast
1 teaspoon caster sugar
1lb / 450 g wholemeal flour
5 oz / 150 g sultanas
1 oz / 25 g peel
- Pour the water into a bowl and add the butter, malt extract, treacle/molasses and yeast. Mix thoroughly.
- Add flour and fruit and mix again.
- Turn on to a floured board and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Shape into two loaves and put into two greased 1lb loaf tins.
- Cover with a clean cloth and put into a warm place until double in size.
- Bake at 400°F, 200°C, Gas Mark 6 for 35 - 45 minutes.
- Turn out and cool on a wire rack.
- Chopped dates or chopped dried apricots may be used in place of the fruit, or chopped nuts in place of the peel.
- Honey may be used in place of the treacle.
Send your comment to the author