For four people
8 oz / 200 g red kidney beans
3 oz / 75 g shelled walnuts
1 oz / 25 g garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the beans for at least eight hours in cold water, then rinse.
- Add fresh water and fast boil the beans for ten minutes to fifteen minutes.
- Simmer the beans for a further two hours before draining.
- Reduce the walnuts to a flour with a pestle and mortar or use a coffee grinder.
- Liquidise the garlic in the lemon juice.
- Combine the walnut flour with the garlic in the mortar and blend in the olive oil to form a smooth paste. Add a little more olive oil if needed.
- Toss the beans in the dressing and leave to stand for an hour before serving.
- Sprinkle the fresh coriander leaves over the top just before serving.