A good stock forms the basis for a good soup.
To make 1 pint / 550 ml of stock
2 pints / 1 litre of water
1 sliced onion
1 bay leaf
4 black peppercorns, whole
salt to taste.
1 oz / 25 g mung beans or lentils
1 small potato, chopped
- Place the ingredients together in a pressure cooker, and cook under 15 lbs pressure for 45 minutes.
- Without a pressure cooker, bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Liquidise the stock.
- Simmer in an open pan to reduce the volume to 1 pint.
- Freeze the stock in small quantities if required for later use.