Stuffed courgettes - vegetarian lifestyle recipe book
Ingredients: Stuffed courgettes - vegetarian lifestyle recipe book
4 large courgettes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped or crushed
2 sticks celery, chopped
6 oz mushrooms, chopped
2 oz walnuts, chopped
2 oz hazelnuts, chopped
2 oz brazil nuts, chopped
1 tablespoon tomato puree
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram or oregano
salt & pepper
Extra basil or marjoram
Instructions: Stuffed courgettes - vegetarian lifestyle recipe book
- Cook the courgettes in boiling water until just tender. Drain and set aside.
- Fry the onion, garlic and celery in the oil until soft.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add nuts, tomato puree, herbs and seasoning. Warm gently but do not allow to cook any further.
- Cut the courgettes in half lengthways, scoop out the flesh without breaking the skin and mix with the fried mixture.
- Replace the mixture in the courgette shells and heat under the grill.
- Sprinkle with extra basil or marjoram and serve at once.
- The stuffed courgettes may be heated in the oven instead of under the grill.
- Use aubergines in place of courgettes. Bake in the oven at Gas Mark 5, 190 C, 375 F, for 30 minutes instead of boiling.