These are the elements that are essential for the body to work, but needed only in very small amounts.
- Chromium is needed for insulin production.
- Good sources are brewers yeast, whole grain cereals, nuts and black treacle.
- Copper is used in the manufacture of red blood cells and many enzymes.
- Good sources are whole grain cereals and green vegetables.
- Iodine is needed to make thyroid hormones and for the development of the nervous system.
- Good sources are milk, whole grain cereals, but vegans may be prone to low iodine levels.
- Selenium is important for some enzymes.
- Good sources are whole grain cereals.
- Manganese is needed for many enzymes to operate.
- Cereals and nuts are good sources