8 oz / 200 g wholemeal flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon water
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor bowl, and process until the dough just starts to come together.
- Wrap in plastic film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Devide the rested dough into 4 equal pieces, and rewrap all except the piece being worked on to prevent drying out.
- Roll out on a clean surface, lifting and rotating the dough after each pass of the roller until it forms a square 30cm x 30cm or 12"x12".
- Lay the pasta sheet to dry on a clean towel for 5 minutes.
- Repeat with the other three lumps of dough.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the pasta to the size and shape required.
- Pasta can be coloured by adding 1 teaspoon of saffron, or 1 oz / 25 g of pureed cooked beetroot, or a sachet of squid ink to the dry mixture.
- Flavour the pasta with 3 teaspoons of freshly chopped herbs added to the dry mixture: selection of tarragon, marjoram, parsley, basil, garlic.
- Flavour the pasta with the following beaten with the egg before adding to the dry mixture: selection of 2 tablespoons black olive paste, 2 tablespoons sundried tomato paste, 2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
- For buckwheat pasta use 4 oz /100 g of buckwheat flour and 4 oz /100 g of wholemeal flour and add an extra tablespoon of water in the above recipe.
- For spinach pasta, use 4 oz /100 g of chopped cooked spinach in place of one of the eggs.
- Cooking pasta
Add the pasta to a large pan of boiling water and cook until al dente- tender but not completely soft.
See the sauces section for a wide range of low-fat sauces to serve with pasta.